Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Oh Holy Night

For me this “holiday season” is about Christmas. It always has been, both as an inherent aspect of my culture and my religious faith. I don’t resent anyone else having their own set of observances and celebrations although it’s difficult for me to keep all that straight, when to say Merry Christmas, which acquaintances or co-worker to give a card to and which not, etc. so I decided I wouldn’t and don’t plan to worry about it. I think those of us who are truly celebrating the birth of Christ should be content to do so with our friends and family who share our beliefs and with spreading our cheer and good-will primarily amongst ourselves, not self-righteously expecting that others defer themselves to our dogma . Once upon a time our society was predominantly Christian-oriented but not anymore. This holiday (as well as several others) has been hijacked by the mercantile segment of the population for its own profits and gains and we have contributed to this happening. If I had my way, much about the season would change and my hard-earned dollars would find their way into more fitting coffers. Of course, I do have my own way and am gradually making necessary adjustments. Bucking long-held traditions isn’t easy. But I’m getting older, crankier, and I hope wiser. I’m not as easily swayed by Hallmark sentiment or the strains of Joy to the World over the loudspeaker in Walmart. This no longer incites me to spend money I don’t have. It does remind me, however, that I’m immensely fortunate to live in a nation where I have the freedom to practice my faith as I see fit and to spend the few dollars I have left over after taxes on whatever I desire. There’s no doubt in my mind that things were better in our nation when God was welcome in more places and prayer was an acceptable form of public speech but the fact that not everyone realizes this does not faze me. And if I, in a momentary fit of general good will find myself wishing someone a “Merry Christmas” and realize that they’re not receiving my words in the spirit intended, well, I’m not going to worry about that either. As I said, for me, this holiday season is about Christmas, about Christ and His birth and life and death and all that it means. I’d say I’m sorry for being so traditional and politically incorrect, but I’m not. I couldn't possibly be. Blessings to all.

No comments: