Saturday, January 6, 2007

Take me to the playground, please.

So today I blog for the first time, letting a portion of the contents of my brain and soul spill out onto the internet for others to see, a feat I would have found impossible to dare to dare in the not so distant past. Putting my words out for others to read has been, in my mind at least, akin to standing undressed on a street corner. But here I am, having finally come to accept the fact that small children won’t be struck blind by the sight or gross humiliation my eternal lot. I was about to say that maturity has allowed me to be more accepting of myself and to take my public persona less seriously but perhaps it wasn’t that at all but regression. In any event, my ambitions and desire to communicate has overridden my fears at last so here I am.

I instantly liked the title of this blog site when it came to me. I firmly believe that God is constantly speaking into His creation in a variety of ways but especially through the human mind and mouth. Many of those thoughts are what we would consider odd, out of the range of the normal blather that comes to us from the media, the gossiping neighbor, or mate sitting across from us at the breakfast table. More often than not they spring forth from the mouths of children but then, who takes them seriously? I hope I can get out of the way with my maturity, education, and shyness, my desire to be “literate” and “professional” to be able to let these god-thoughts out without too much censor and censure.

My odd thought for today is that this world is one big playground for children of all ages and when we know that, our lives remain interesting and joyful, as they were before we discovered crises and problems and fear and got hooked on the rush. When I was a child, I played hard and found delight and motivation in every new experience and the challenges that accompanied them. I was not dull. I spoke my mind. I sang and danced freely and with little self-consciousness. I got lost in stories and could “hear” what they were telling me. I did forbidden things and got punished but that didn’t deter my spirit of exploration and invention – at least not initially. Eventually though, and I consider that day a day of death from which I had to be eventually resurrected, my spirit became sodden with worry and the main struggle of my life since has been to extricate myself from its shackles. I’m getting there and with the help of the god-thoughts and the children, I’ll recover totally.

No comments: